Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sugar and Organic Whole Grain Pumpkin Muffins



We make these pumpkin muffins every year. They make the house smell wonderful and my son can knock them back like crazy. I have mixed feelings about sugar. It's not the best thing for you, but I think it makes a world of difference if you buy organic unrefined and also if you eat it in moderation.

Wholesome Sweeteners Organic Sugar is my pick. It tastes great, way better than white sugar, and Wholesome Sweeteners is an environmentally friendly and Fair Trade company. I use this for all recipes requiring sugar. Before organic unrefined sugar came onto the market I just didn't bake at all, period. Once in a while, for a holiday, I would come up with something made with brown rice syrup or some alternative sweetener using whole grain flour, but generally abstained because I just don't like white sugar or white flour.

Since this has been on the market, I've been baking up a storm. I always use the purest ingredients I can find, organic, and whole grain--that way I can feel good about eating something with some nutrition and it tastes better too. It's a great way to ensure my son has wholesome ingredients while still getting a treat every now and then.

Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
(modified from a recipe in Vegan With a Vengeance)

Whisk or Sift together:
1 3/4 Cup organic Whole Wheat Flour
1 Tbsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cinnamon
(may add additional spices
such as ginger, or nutmeg)

Cream together:
1 Can organic Pumpkin
1 Cup organic Sugar
1/4 Cup Oil
1/2 Cup Soy Milk

Mix together and add
1 Cup chopped nuts and/or
1/2 cup raisins.

Mix and pour into muffin tins, bake for approximately 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees until it passes the knife test. There are all sorts of variations you can do with these--vegan chocolate chips are great in these, cranberries, more or less spice...play with it!

No comments: