Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Berlin inspired Pumpkin Soup


While hanging out in Berlin a few years ago, I went to one of my favorite restaurants, Abendmahl (translation: Last Supper). You would never know from the website, but it's one of the most bizarre and creative restaurants I've ever had the pleasure of visiting. To give you an idea, the desserts at one time were all murder scenes--and they were ingenious.

The last time I was there, it was about this time of year and a bit cold outside. I ordered Pumpkin Soup and it was so wonderful I was determined to come home and recreate it. Which I did! Every time I make it, it brings me fond memories of Berlin. Here is a very loose recipe if you care to give it a try. I throw in a couple of cans (totally optional) because getting the meat out of a pumpkin can be time consuming. Feel free to just use more fresh pumpkin.

Loose Recipe:
1 small onion, chopped
1 sugar pie pumpkin
2 cans organic pumpkin (I like Trader Joes BPA free cans)
vegetable broth
salt and pepper
dash of cinnamon
soy cream

Chop pumpkin into small pieces--I find it easiest to put the pumpkin, whole, in the oven for 45 minutes, then the meat comes right out. Saute chopped onion. Add pumpkin and broth, and seasonings. Let simmer until color and flavors deepen. Add soy cream into bowl last (it's not a good idea to add the cream to the pot as it curdles).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just made this, only I didn't have any fresh pumpkin so I used fresh butternut squash and canned pumpkin. It was really good and perfect for Halloween. Thank you!

Eco Mama said...

Thanks Carmen!
xo
Eco Mama