Thursday, April 29, 2010

But where do you get your protein?


Twice this week I have been asked, by two different health care professionals, where I get my protein.  This is a common response to finding out you enjoy a vegan diet* and it never ceases to amaze me how much the protein myth has got its teeth into our culture.  I want to say, but I'm afraid it would sound rude, have you ever seen a gorilla?  Or a chimp?  Their diet is mostly leafy greens, which are loaded with protein by the way.  And they could tear your head off with a casual swat, that's how strong and powerful they are on their vegan diets**.

You can take one look at a gorilla and see that protein is not an issue for them.  It's not for us either but rather a long standing myth making people think they need animal products. Protein is just a chain of amino acids and they come in many varieties. Pure, unadulterated food from the plant kingdom is the highest quality, most easily assimilated protein we can eat with leafy greens topping the list.

There is a ton of literature out there on this topic, so I am not going to try to encapsulate it in a blog post, but I will steer anyone who would like to know more to the following books:  THE CHINA STUDY, by Campbell and GREEN FOR LIFE by Boutenko.

* I do eat raw organic honey on rare occasion--vegan police don't come after me!
** Gorillas eat about 3% insects, but it's 97% plant food otherwise.

7 comments:

bitt said...

i love the gorilla argument. it's amazing how health professionals are so clueless about vegan diets.

Anonymous said...

The gorilla case is a good one but isn't it dreary how often we have to answer this question? Just when you thought it was safe to come out of the kitchen, someone pops up with it again :-)

Eco Mama said...

Yes! Indeed, it's a wearying question and one I wish would go away. Thanks for the comments guys.
xo
Eco Mama

Anonymous said...

It's so true. I can't believe how often I still get asked this, even by my own family! Sigh, if only everyone could just read these books you recommended...

Sheena LaShay said...

The gorilla argument had me laughing on the floor. LOVE IT!

Mary said...

It's too bad you got that question from doctors! They should know better.

Dolphin said...

Hmm, great example! Rhinos and elephants could also be a good visual to explain. They're both so powerful and huge, and they both subsist on greens.