Wednesday, February 20, 2013

National Parks: A Kid's Guide

My favorite thing about the US is our National Parks.  We are so lucky to have them and wouldn't it be fun to go on a road trip for the summer, taking the kids to see the marvels of mother nature?  Camping at each place along the way and discovering the diverse terrain and animal life?  I've done some long road trips, and visited many of our parks, but not to the extent I feel the need to.  Our national parks are pilgrimage-worthy, I think. 

NATIONAL PARKS: A Kid's Guide to America's Parks, Monuments, and Landmarks is a great companion for such a trip or trip planning.  It also serves as an inspiration, a wish list of fabulous destinations, and it's chock full of fun facts and trivia.  Cool retro graphics make it a feast for the eyes and kids won't even notice they are learning.  Every page has Ranger and Birdwatch Facts for each place--what kid doesn't love rangers? There is a quarter collector in the back with slots for quarters from each state--that could be a fun tradition for domestic travels.  My son was all over this book and it is written with kids in mind--but I love it for adults too.  Find it HERE